Analysis of Acana Cat Food

Analysis of Acana cat food

Acana is a leading cat food brand, known for producing biologically appropriate foods. This means that one of the founding philosophies is that they mimic what your kitty would consume in the wild as closely as possible.

Ingredients come from local sources in a fresh or raw state. In addition, fruits and vegetables are added to offer complete and balanced nutrition. If you’re thinking about buying Acana cat food for your furry friend, we’ve put together this guide to the best options in this Acana cat food review.

Analysis of Acana cat food

Grasslands Acana cat food

Let’s start with a review of Acana Grasslands cat food. Rich in nutrients and high in protein, sources include lamb, trout, and quail. Designed with biological fitness in mind, it is high in protein and limited in carbohydrates. Based on the philosophy of whole prey, it also includes organs, bones, and cartilage.

You may be interested in taking a look at this post with Cat Food For All Ages, here.

75% of the food comes from the ingredients of meat, fish, and eggs. As for the remaining 25%, fruit, and vegetables add nutrients. In addition to being grain-free, there are also no potatoes or gluten, which are common in many cat foods.

q? encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B086TW5KF8&Format= SL250 &ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=petslover0a 20&language=en US -ir?t=petslover0a 20&language=en US&l=li3&o=1&a=B086TW5KF8 -

main features

  • Designed to be highly palatable.
  • Fresh and local products.
  • Grain and gluten-free.
  • Principles of whole foods.

specs

  • Brand: ACANA
  • Model: CAC3120-12
  • Weight: 11.9 pounds

First Feast High Protein Dry Kitten Food ACANA

First Feast is Acana’s first kitten recipe, marking an important step in expanding its range.

First Feast uses a mix of poultry and fish ingredients, including chicken, herring, turkey, and eggs. This blend of ingredients provides a high proportion of animal protein and fat, which should be at the core of every cat’s diet.

Unlike many other Acana recipes, which are limited to legumes or grains, First Feast uses a mix of both, including oats, peas, lentils, and chickpeas. These grains and legumes add carbohydrates, plant-based protein, and fiber to the recipe.

q? encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B086V7VQT2&Format= SL250 &ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=petslover0a 20&language=en US -ir?t=petslover0a 20&language=en US&l=li3&o=1&a=B086V7VQT2 -

main features

  • Packed with high-quality protein for muscle and bone development.
  • Taurine, DHA, and EPA contribute to healthy cognitive and retinal function.
  • Omega fatty acids help keep your kitty’s coat and skin shiny and healthy.
  • Small prey ingredients and liver make the taste delicious.
  • Made in the USA.

specs

  • Brand: ACANA
  • Weight: 4 pounds

Grain-free Wild Atlantic Dry Cat Food by ACANA

Next on our list is a fish-based recipe that includes herring, redfish, mackerel, hake, and flounder. 75% of all ingredients come from wild fish. The remaining 25% is made up of vegetables, fruits, and botanicals.

What is also important to mention is the figure of 0% in the food, which means that there are no grains or potatoes, which are present in some cat foods. All fresh and regional ingredients come from trusted suppliers.

q? encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B086V2Z9WR&Format= SL250 &ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=petslover0a 20&language=en US -ir?t=petslover0a 20&language=en US&l=li3&o=1&a=B086V2Z9WR -

main features

  • The first six ingredients are wild-caught fish.
  • Does not contain potatoes or tapioca.
  • It uses meat, organs, cartilage, and bones.
  • The ingredients are delivered fresh or raw.

specs

  • Brand: ACANA
  • Weight: 11.9 pounds

ACANA Grain Free Meadowland Dry Cat Food

The last option on our list contains protein from a wide range of sources, including poultry, fish, and eggs. In addition to not containing grains, this food is also gluten-free. It has been designed to offer a high level of palatability to cats while remaining biologically appropriate.

As usual in Acana, a large part of the ingredients comes from fish and poultry, in this case, 75%. The remaining 25% comes from fruits, vegetables, and botanicals.

q? encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B086TVBB1C&Format= SL250 &ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=petslover0a 20&language=en US -ir?t=petslover0a 20&language=en US&l=li3&o=1&a=B086TVBB1C -

main features

  • High protein content from various sources.
  • Includes rich ingredients of animal origin.
  • Grain and gluten-free.
  • Biologically appropriate diet.

specs

  • Brand: ACANA
  • Weight: 11.9 pounds

ACANA CAT FOOD

Your cat is a born carnivore, biologically requiring a protein-rich diet of whole animal-derived ingredients. ACANA recipes offer a variety of diets and flavors, packed with protein and nutrients so your cat gets everything she needs and feels her best.

With diets for kittens, adults, and indoor cats, we have a new food for every cat. Made with 65-70% quality ingredients from small prey animals, essential vitamins, and minerals for optimal health. ACANA has everything your cat needs to stay happy, healthy, and active.

If you want to know more about The Best Pet Food Options, do not hesitate to consult its complete file here.

Acana Cat Food Buying Guide

We now enter the section of the buying guide in which we talk about the Acana brand in more detail, including information about the company, reasons for choosing the brand, an analysis of the ingredients, and some of the main pros and cons of it.

Company information

Acana Pet Food was founded in 1975. Today, their food can be purchased in 60 countries around the world. The headquarters are located in Alberta, Canada. It can be classified as a premium pet food brand that can only be purchased in select stores and online. Its parent company is Champion Pet Foods, which also owns Orijen, one of the most expensive cat foods in the world.

Acana is more accessible in its price level. Known for its health food credentials, the brand has become a highly trusted brand among past customers. It stands out for its safety standards since everything is made with strict quality controls. Other things the brand is known for include its high meat content, grain-free formulation, and locally sourced ingredients.

These regional pledges are taken seriously and where possible sourced from local farmers to help boost the area’s economy. This also avoids the need to freeze food.

Why choose this brand?

There are many reasons to choose this brand over others. One of the most obvious is their commitment to using fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Unlike other pet food companies that store ingredients, often for a long period. Once collected, they are sent to Acana’s laboratory.

Many of the ingredients are organic and unprocessed, which is in contrast to some lesser pet food brands where the amounts of processed foods are too high.

The meat content always comes from different sources and is processed the same day it is received. The vitamins and minerals your cat needs are added later. There are many variations in flavor and nutrient content depending on your kitty’s preferences and needs. There are few additives, gluten-free and grain-free. Also, it is easily digestible.

Don’t miss this Best Pets Lover article on Cat Food: What Is The Best Of 2023?

Ingredient Analysis

Now let’s take a closer look at some of the main ingredients that make up these types of food. This way, you can decide what goes into your cat’s body and make a more informed decision about his health.

biologically appropriate 

Biologically appropriate is a phrase you see over and over again referring to Acana pet foods, which means they operate on the idea that cats should eat foods similar to what they eat in the wild. This means that the protein content of the meat is high, around 70-75% and that there is no grain present in the food.

High protein content

As mentioned above, the protein content of Acana cat food is consistently high, coming from mixed sources including fish, lamb, and game birds. This variety of protein sources helps prevent your cat from becoming hooked on just one. And these multiple sources also make it less likely that your kitty will develop an allergy to one of them.

Fresh regional ingredients

The brand is committed to selecting and using fresh regional ingredients. This means the fish is wild-caught, ranch-raised meat and game, and poultry. Everything arrives in the kitchen fresh or raw. The recipe includes muscle meat, organs, and cartilage, as this is what your cat would have consumed in the wild.

Fruits and vegetables

The remaining quarter of the non-meat meal is made up of farm-fresh fruits and vegetables. These provide the main nutrients your kitty needs to function healthily.

Grain-free formulation

The Acana brand is a line of grain-free products, which is also based on the philosophy that cats would not eat them in the wild. This is important for cats that suffer from allergies and can also help promote good digestion.

To find out about the Advantages Of Raising The Cat Feeder, don’t hesitate to read this Best Pets Lover post.

Advantages and disadvantages

Positive

  • Packed with high-quality protein: Cats need a lot of protein in their diet, as they are carnivorous creatures that historically obtained it from the animals they hunted. Today, our kitties are firmly domesticated, but they still have a digestive system and basic functioning that requires meat and meat-derived proteins. Acana has recognized this and has developed food formulas that aim to mimic as closely as possible what your cat would have eaten in the wild. 70 or 75% of the food comes from various sources of protein. And with the “whole prey” philosophy, all protein sources must be highly digestible by cats.
  • Rich in Essential Vitamins and Minerals – Although the foundation of Acana’s diet is protein, the minerals, and nutrients your cat needs often come from a variety of other sources, including fruits, vegetables, and botanicals. In your cat food, the final 25% is made up of food from these sources.
  • Regionally Sourced Ingredients: Unlike many cat foods that rely on frozen ingredients sourced from around the world, this is not the case with the Acana brand, which focuses on fresh or raw foods sourced from local vendors. So when you buy this brand of cat food, you know you’re supporting farmers in the area.
  • No Preservatives or Additives – As you would expect from a brand that stands up for its whole food credentials, it contains no preservatives or additives, which obviously wouldn’t have made it into your cat’s diet in the past. Unfortunately, these elements are very present in many cat foods today, and many experts believe that they hurt felines.
  • Range of Flavors and Formulations: Rather than be limited to one or two flavors and formulations, Acana offers a wide variety. You can choose based on your kitten’s nutritional needs or individual preferences.
  • Grain and Gluten Free: If your cat is allergic to grains or gluten (something that seems to be increasingly common in modern felines), this cat food has neither of these ingredients to worry about.

Negative

  • High Price: The main negative point people find about this brand is that it is on the higher end of the scale, which may make it unaffordable for some. Also, the size of the bags – 12 pounds is standard. This can drive up the cost even more and make it less affordable for people with smaller appetites cats. However, for the quality of the brand and the benefits it offers, many people believe that it is a price worth paying.
  • There are only dry food options: Acana cat food only comes in dry food options, so you don’t have the option of offering your kitty a wet food diet with this particular brand. Although many cats live happily on a diet of dry food, one of the main problems is that they don’t get as much moisture from it. Therefore, you should make a special effort to put plenty of clean drinking water in it to ensure that your cat drinks enough. You could also vary the wet and dry food so that your cat has the best of both worlds.
  • There are no specific formulas for kittens: Although many brands have formulas designed for kittens as well, this is not the case with Acana. Therefore, if you are looking for biologically appropriate food for your young cat, you are going to have to look elsewhere.

Final thoughts

There are many positives to the Acana brand, especially the way it tries to mimic what your feline would have eaten in the wild with its high protein content. Vitamins and minerals come from other sources. The main drawback is that the price is high, so you have to weigh this aspect with the positive characteristics to decide if it is worth it or not.