The world of dog training is really wide. This is because dogs have a high learning capacity, which has allowed them to stay by our side over time, learning the most varied tasks. And it is that, whether your dog is a chihuahua or a German shepherd, his ability to learn is still latent.
Therefore, teaching your dog different exercises is a fun way to stimulate him mentally, helping him to be a healthy and balanced dog. In this Best Pets Lover article, we want to show you step by step a few easy tricks for dogs that you can do with your partner.
Before starting with tricks for dogs
Teaching your dog tricks can be the most fun for you and the most entertaining and rewarding activity for your dog. But for this, before, you must take these points into account:
Plan the sessions well
Instructional courses ought to be short in span and with straightforward targets. If you’re wondering why, the reason is that you can get more out of a 20-minute session, in which your dog is fully focused and motivated than an hour-long session in which your dog will end up getting tired and distracted. . In addition, during these sessions you should propose simple exercises that you can complete to, little by little, increase the difficulty. On the contrary, if from the beginning you ask for very difficult activities, your dog will not understand you and will end up frustrated, which is something you want to avoid.
Look for a tasty prize
Not all dogs are motivated in the same way by the same prizes. That is to say, one furry might love cheese, but another loses his head over ham. Knowing which prize motivates your animal the most will be key so that it learns quickly and is aware of you when you ask for something.
In the same way, the use of caresses is not usually recommended, since although your dog surely likes them a lot, they are not something special because he receives them consistently whether or not or not you are showing him something. Therefore, for him, they do not have the same value as a piece of food that is never within his reach.
have a positive attitude
If one day you are discouraged or you lack strength, it is advisable that you give yourself a break and do not do any exercise with your dog. This is because in training sessions your attitude also acts as positive reinforcement for your dog. He is happy if you are and it is not consistent for him to see you sad while you reward him.
Be persistent and consistent
You must be constant in the education of your dog, perform the exercises several days a week, even for a short time, to ensure that your dog internalizes them. In addition, you must be consistent, that is, be repetitive in terms of the signs and voice instructions that you give (which must be short words). It cannot be that one day you tell him “sit down” and another day “sit” since you will end up confusing him.
Make sure your dog is okay
Finally, if your dog suffers from any pain or pathology that prevents him from doing any exercise, keep it in mind. Thus, on the off chance that you see that your dog’s disposition isn’t awesome, that is, if for reasons unknown he is worn out and not extremely responsive, offer him a reprieve that day so the following day he is ready for business and anxious to learn.
Trick 1: Teach your dog to give the paw
The “shake hands” or “shake hands” trick is relatively easy to teach a dog, even as a puppy. This is because you have probably noticed that your dog often rubs its paw against you to ask you for something, and it is precisely this natural behavior that pups play out that you will exploit to begin learning. Let’s see what the procedure is:
- To begin with, you will need to ask your dog to sit. Sit on your ankles or crouch down so that you are at his height and you don’t have to lean over him to get closer. In this way, you will avoid intimidating him (especially if he is a fearful dog ).
- Next, show him that you have a prize in your hand and close it. You must also hide the other hand with another prize.
- Your dog will be tempted and will try to ask you for it (or directly try to take it away if he is very impatient), licking your hand and rubbing his paw against you.
- When your dog paws at your hand, reward him instantly by opening your hand or giving him a treat with the other, so he can never predict where the threat is coming from. Don’t forget to say affectionately “very good!” so that he sees you happy with him.
- If you see that your dog has understood the action, ask for the paw with your open hand without the treat and give him the treat with the other. Also, tell him the word “leg” or “hand” so that he relates the action to oral instruction.
- You can teach him to give you both paws differently, that is, ask for the right or left paw. For this, you must first teach him to give you only one of his paws and assign him a specific word (for example “right”) and, later, teach him to give the other paw in a different order.
There is also a second procedure to teach your dog this trick in case the first method fails. It consists of, once seated, you say the slogan “paw” or “hand” while you gently take their paw with one hand and give them a treat with the other. If you do it right, he will immediately understand and will raise his paw when you tell him the instruction and before you pick it up.
Although this second procedure may seem simpler, it is better to leave it as a second option. This is because dogs, as a general rule, prefer that we do not use physical manipulation on them. And, although it is not traumatic for them to take the paw gently, the truth is that in training sessions it is always interesting that the dog learns to perform exercises by initiating the action, thus learning to behave reflexively. and collaborative, especially if later you want to teach more complex exercises.
Trick 2: Teach your dog to say “hello”
If your dog already knows how to shake its paw, you can teach it to greet you with it. To accomplish this objective you should follow these means:
- 1Ask him to sit down and hide one of your hands with a treat.
- Ask him to give you his paw, but this time hold your hand up a bit so that he has to raise his paw to reach your hand.
- Gradually increase the height. Do not start from the beginning asking him to raise his leg a lot, since he will not understand and will end up frustrated.
- As you get him to raise his leg in the form of a greeting, say the oral command “say hello” or “hello” while you make the gesture of greeting him.
Trick 3: Teach your dog to “kiss you”
This trick for dogs can be quite simple since you will know a few dogs that are not kissers! Essentially, the objective is to get your canine to kiss you when you tell him to. With this goal, how you will treat say a short word, like a kiss! each time he licks you on the cheek or the other hand if you would rather that your canine doesn’t lick you on the face, on one hand. Right at the moment, reward him with praise, caresses, and food.
Progressively, and if you are persistent, your dog will learn to associate the instruction with the action. There will undoubtedly come a time when your dog hears “kiss” and immediately launches to lick your face. When he does, you should reward him effusively so that he sees that he has understood correctly.
Tips: if your dog is not very keen on kissing you (unusual but possible), you can always encourage him by putting some food like a little butter or something similar for him to lick.
And if you wonder if it’s bad to kiss your dog, don’t miss this article: ” Is it bad to kiss my dog? “.
Trick 4: Lying down and turning
To teach your dog to lie down, you must have first taught him to lie down. Then, at that point, the system to follow will be:
- Ask him to lie down on the floor and show him that you have a prize in one hand. Conceal the other hand with another prize.
- Let him smell your closed hand with the prize inside it and, little by little, move it so that he follows it.
- Now, you should move your hand up to his torso as he follows you with his head. You will see how, little by little, he will incline his body towards the side to which you are guiding him, getting him to lie down.
- In the process, as he bends over, successively rewards him so that he doesn’t lose interest and ask him for the oral instruction, for example, “lie down”, so that he relates the action he is carrying out with the order.
- Progressively, move away from him and modify your movement with your hand, so that he can associate your hand gesture with the command “lie down”.
To teach him to turn over on his own body, that is, to “do the croquette”, you must follow the same procedure from lying down. For this, once he is in this position, you will have his hand follow you, guiding him to the opposite side to the one he is lying on so that he tilts his whole body to this side. In the process, you must also use an oral command, such as “back” or “croquette”.
Trick 5: Teach your dog to ask
This is one of the most complex tricks for dogs, but if you have managed to succeed with the previous ones, you can try to teach it to him. It consists of your dog standing on its two hind legs, maintaining a vertical posture. It should be noted that dogs are not anatomically prepared for this position and, although they can adapt it for a while, if you notice that your dog is in pain or has any pathology that could harm it (hips, for example), it is not recommended that you teach it. since the prosperity of your canine is more significant.
For this exercise you must follow these steps:
- Ask him to sit down and show him that you have a treat in one hand while hiding the other hand with another treat.
- Keep your hand above his nose, so your dog will have to try to get up to reach it.
- As soon as he tries to get up, even if he only raises one leg, give him a treat and praise him. Go increasing the demand for exercise progressively.
- When your dog lifts its two front legs, increase the time it must stay that way before giving it the prize and add the command “ask” or similar to associate it with the action.
- If he can’t balance himself for a long time, try to help him for a while at first with some object with which he can keep his legs elevated to get used to (it can be held on your leg if he is a small dog) and gradually take it off.
Do not get frustrated if it does not succeed, as we have mentioned, not all dogs can or should perform this exercise, since it requires an effort in the back that not all dogs can perform, either due to their muscles or anatomy. So, find another dog trick to teach him, there’s a huge repertoire to try!
Watch your dog teach him more tricks
You already know how to teach dog tricks, so don’t hesitate to put them all into practice. Of course, it should be noted that many times to teach your dog a trick it is not necessary to complicate life very much. You have an infinite world of possibilities if you look at the natural behavior of your dog.
For instance, you can train him to bark or yawn on order. How? you ask. Well, in the same way, you can teach him to kiss you. In other words, to do this you must devise situations in which your dog can naturally carry out these behaviors and, before he does so, give him the oral command to reward him effusively after the action. If you are persistent and constant in your day-to-day, your dog will associate the slogan with the action and you will have managed to teach him a new trick.
Remember that throughout this learning process, positive reinforcement will always be your best ally. Likewise, we want to emphasize that they are all tricks for small, large, and medium dogs. Some of them can be troublesome stunts for more seasoned canines or, actually, exceptionally youthful, so adjust them to the conditions of your dog.