Bambi is one of the Disney classics. Whether because of his adorable physique or his endearing character, this character is part of the movie released in 1943 entitled Bambi. This film marked, in fact, the childhood of many children with its fantastic adventures. However, there are still many people who ask ” Bambi, what animal is he? “. If you have any desire to know what creature Bambi from Disney is, notwithstanding its qualities, diet, and natural surroundings, make sure to this BestPetsLover article that we bring you below.
You may also be interested in What Kind Of Animal Is Bambi?
What animal is Bambi from the Disney movie?
In the book Bambi, the Life of a Roe, by Felix Salten, Bambi was a deer. However, there are different types of deer, so this Disney character can confuse. So much so that we could talk about Bambi being a roe deer, a deer (or deer, as they are synonyms), or a fallow deer, but what kind of animal is Bambi?
Now, roe deer don’t live in the United States, and Americans are more used to white-tailed deer. That’s why, in the Disney movie, Bambi is a white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) pup, also known as a white-tailed fawn.
Whitetail Deer Characteristics
Now we know what animal is a Bambi. Therefore, let’s see below some of the main characteristics of Bambi or white-tailed deer.
- Also called Virginia deer, it is an artiodactyl mammal: it belongs to the Cervidae family. If you want to know more about the Characteristics of mammals, do not hesitate to take a look at this other article that we recommend.
- It is a medium-sized deer: it can measure up to 1 meter and 20 cm and weigh approximately 130 kg.
- Its coat changes according to the season: in summer it is satiny and light brown, while it becomes thicker and grayer during winter.
- It presents sexual dimorphism: since the males are a third larger than the females. In this other BestPetsLover post, you can find out more about sexual dimorphism: definition, curiosities, and examples.
- White-tailed deer have antlers, also called antlers, that curve forward: they grow with age until they reach their maximum development around 4 years of age.
- The females live in small branches: at the same time, the males lead a solitary life, except during the mating season.
Whitetail Deer Habitat
white-tailed deer,( Odocoileus virginianus ) lives in different ecosystems of the American continent, so it originates from there. We can say that the deer live from the Canadian subarctic region, passing through dry forests of the mountainous slopes of Mexico and tropical forests of Central and South America, to equatorial dry forests of northern Peru and other wooded areas of South America. In this way, we can see that Bambi is an animal capable of adapting to different types of habitats, although forests predominate.
White-tailed deer feeding
Once we know what type of animal Bambi is and what characteristics it has, we are going to discover its diet. White-tailed deer are ruminant and herbivorous animals. In this way, Bambi’s diet is based on a large number of different leaves, shoots, fruits, and fungi.
You may also be interested in: How To Take Care Of Your Pets In The Corona Pandemic?
Also, at certain times of the year, they can include foods such as berries from small trees and bushes, acorns, and some types of sweet fruits that are available in their diet.
You may be interested in these other AnimalWised articles with Examples of ruminant animals and Herbivorous animals: examples and curiosities to have more information on the subject.
Whitetail Deer Conservation Status
Unfortunately, the white-tailed deer is pursued by hunters, but fortunately, it is in a state of least concern. The populations of these animals have increased due to the lack of predators.
On June 28, 1993, the National Congress of the Republic of Honduras declared the white-tailed deer the national symbol of the fauna of this country. Likewise, the Odocoileus virginianus was declared a national symbol of the Republic of Costa Rica on May 2, 1995.
So what kind of animal is Bambi?
If you have ever visited the Doñana National Park, you will know that, among many other species, there are large herds of deer that live in the most wooded area. It is quite common, if you visit the region, that you are lucky enough to spot a specimen of this majestic species.
If so, it seems that one of the questions used by the guides there to break the ice with tourists is, precisely, “do you know what kind of animal Bambi is?”
Well, now that you have some information, you can doubt what you believed to be an absolute truth until now. Don’t be fooled by fiction.
Difference between a deer and a roe deer
The deer and the roe deer are two different species of deer that have very different biological and, above all, morphological characters. The main differences are in:
- The size: the deer is much larger, speaking of weight than the roe deer. An adult deer can weigh between 80-200 kg, compared to 15-30 kg for a roe deer.
- The antlers are larger and more complex in the deer than in the roe deer. In addition, they differ by the number of tips. In the roe deer, there are three points per antler and they are fixed, although when they enter the adult phase they can reach 35 cm. The number varies in the adult deer, which can have more than 15 quills that can reach a meter in length.
- The muzzle: the roe deer has a black muzzle, while the red deer maintains the brownish tone of the rest of the head.
- The rump: the roe deer are also distinguished from afar by their white rump, while the white rump of the deer is smaller and crossed by a short tail.
Other animals from Bambi
Now that you’ve found out the name of the animal that is Bambi, you may be wondering what other animals appear in the movie. Beneath we will make reference to the most exceptional ones.
- The other co-stars in the Disney feature film are his parents, the Great Prince of the Forest, and his unnamed mother: they are also two white-tailed deer.
- Drum – A pink-nosed rabbit. If you want to know more about the anatomy of the rabbit, don’t hesitate to read this AnimalWised article.
- Fiore – A male skunk. We recommend that you consult this post on the Types of foxes: names and photographs to learn more about the subject.
- Her childhood friend and future partner Faline: is also a white-tailed deer cub.